Have french press, will travel. Probably our favorite brew method, the french press is a great full bodied brew that only takes 4 minutes for a great cup of coffee. These instructions will make an 8 cup french press like shown above.
1. Weigh out 56 grams of beans. The french press uses a course grind, its recommended to use a variable burr grinder for the best results. Grind your beans.
2. Pour the grounds into the empty french press. Pour water at about 200 degrees or just below boiling into the press up to the 8 cup mark. Plunge a couple of times (or take a wooden spoon to stir) to mix the grounds. Set your timer for 4 minutes.
3. When the timer goes off, push the plunger down (separating the grounds from the coffee) and pour yourself an amazing cup of coffee.
Chemex is the old school classic. Its been around since about the time dinosaurs roamed the earth but its stood the test of time for a reason, it makes a great cup of coffee.
1. For this brew method you should use a 1:16 coffee to water weight ratio so one way to hit that is 44 grams of coffee and 700 grams of water. Get your water brewing to 200 degrees and grind your coffee a medium course ground. Right between the french press and coffee maker setting.
2. Put your filter in the Chemex with the 3 layered side towards the spout and the 1 layered side away. Once your water is hot, pour some over the filter to get it wet and at the same time warming your chemex. Pour this water out.
3. Then dump your grounds into the wet filter and pour about 150g of water over the grounds and let them air out for 30 seconds to a minute. Then slowly pour your water in a circular motion to your desired weight, in this example 700 grams.
4. Once the water filters through, enjoy a classic cup of Chemex brewed coffee!
I love the AeroPress because you can travel with it and make a delicious cup of coffee while you're on the road. It makes 1 cup, about 8oz per brew.
1. Start with a medium grind, roughly the coarseness of sea salt.
2. Turn your AeroPress over (inverted method) after putting the plunger in to the top about a half inch.
3. Dump the grinds in, a heaping scoop (provided) or about 17 grams, and then fill with your hot water (~200 degrees) about half way.
4. Stir gently for 10 seconds then continue filling to the top. Put on your top then wait 90 to 120 seconds.
5. Put a mug on top of the AeroPress and flip the entire thing. Plunge slowly and enjoy your delicious cup of coffee!